Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Essentialism

3 Albums that have absolutely changed my life:

1. Grace - Jeff Buckley

A profound example of musical genius stifled by tragedy. Buckley, who died in an accident in the late 90s, was on his way to becoming a guitar legend and remains one of the most posthumously influential artists in contemporary music history.

This album covers the sphere of young love, religion and poignance more heroically and creatively than any musician I've encountered. To listen to Grace is to immerse yourself in depths of lyrical beauty untouched by the masses and drenched in timeless elegance.
One of the most indescribable, eloquent tracks on this album is Lover, You Should've Come Over:

Maybe I am too young
To keep good love from going wrong

But tonight you're on my mind
So you never know

Broken down and hungry for your love
With no way to feed it

Where are you tonight?
Child you know how much I need it
Lonely is the room the bed is made

The window lets the rain in

Burning in the corner is the only one

Who dreams he had you with him

It's never over -

My kingdom for a kiss upon her shoulder

It's never over -

All my riches for her smile when I slept so soft against her

It's never over -
She's the tear that hangs inside my soul forever

Oh lover, you should've come over


2. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill
If you've ever heard this album in its entirety you'd know that it tells one of the most stirring, thought provoking, and concrete stories produced in hip hop. Lauryn's only full-length record, it both solidly satisfied my need for meaning and left me with an insatiable desire for another album. My favorites include:
-To Zion
-Ex Factor
-Forgive Them Father

3. Celebrity Skin - Hole

Once again, my wildly unpopular love affair with Courtney Love. (see: A Beginner's Guide to Courtney Love). Whatever, man. Great album.
-Malibu
Get well soon
Please don't go any higher
How are you so burnt
When you're barely on fire?

-Celebrity Skin
Oh make me over
I'm all I wanna be
Oh look at my face

My name is might-have-been

My name is never-was

My names forgotten

-Reasons To Be Beautiful
Oh...give me a reason to be beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment