Monday, March 1, 2010

Winter Winds -> Spring Awakening


My first March pick, and it couldn't be more appropriate against a beautiful backdrop of blue sky and mild winds. Of course, we may get more snow this month (who am I kidding...we definitely will). But for now let's forget about that and focus on the bigger picture: spring is on its way, carrying with it new hope, joys, and of course, good music. UK indie vets & Celtic-inspired Mumford & Sons sing of these new possibilities and the cyclical beauty that's renewed with each spring on Winter Winds. Although Mumford & Sons are originally from West London, when I take in this track I am instantly brought back to Dublin, Ireland, where I spent a very joyful spring a few years ago.

It was my first trip to Europe, and the perfect place to start. I felt intensely connected with every part of the beautiful green earth, thinking of my Irish grandparents and ancestors since passed. I truly felt a different kind of spiritual love in that country than I've felt anywhere else. As cliche as that sounds, that's the kind of joy I look for in my future; the deeply renewing, energizing kind of comfort found solely in knowing ones roots. They say you can never really appreciate the sun unless you've experienced the rain; you can't understand light before understanding darkness, etc. This universal truth is very clearly expressed throughout this track, and for that and many reasons I hope it is the first song you listen to this spring.

And if your strife strikes at your sleep
Remember spring swaps snow for leaves
You'll be happy and wholesome again
When the city clears and sun ascends

And my head told my heart "let love grow"
But my heart told my head "this time no"





I wish you all a very happy start to your spring

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment