Monday, June 7, 2010

Lady Bitness

"Now won't you run and tell your boyfriend? Tell him don't hold his breath for me" quips Santigold on I'm A Lady. Equal parts David Bowie, MIA, and with a Cranberries-esque snarl on this track especially, Philly-born Santigold still possesses a style all her own, and is just one of a growing number of the femmes fatales in today's music industry. (Of course, who can forget the beehive that paved the way for countless outrageous acts, Ms. Winehouse....see Fuck Me Pumps, He Can Only Hold Her, Valerie...where have you been all my life??) Nevertheless, there has never been a shortage of badass lady acts, only times when they were more appreciated than others. I can only hope 2010 has ushered in an era that continues to applaud fabulous women like these.

I'm A Lady - Santigold

Now won't you run and tell your boyfriend
Tell him don't hold his breath for me
I've got some money I was saving
Got some hearts that I'll be breaking
Know someday they'll make a martyr out of me

And I like sometimes to wave it high
Up where everyone can see
I'm a lady
Got my mind made up


Little Bit - Lykke Li
Hands down, I'm too proud for love
But with eyes shut it's you I'm thinking of
But how do we move from A to B?
It can't be up to me cause you don't know
Eye to eye, thigh to thigh, I let go
And for you I keep my legs apart
And forget about my tainted heart


Hurricane Drunk - Florence + The Machine

I hope that you see me cause I'm starin at you
But when you look over, you look right through
Then you lean and kiss her on the head
And I never felt so alive, and so dead

And you can't hold me down, cause I belong to the hurricane

Hysteric - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

No wonder, no wonder
Other half
Strange steps

Heels turn black

The cinders, they splinter

And light the path

And these strange steps

Trace us back

No comments:

Post a Comment