Saturday, May 1, 2010

Rambling [Wo]man

It's almost unreal that Laura Marling has just celebrated her 20th birthday. The London Native, who used to play with Noah and The Whale, is gifted with the old soul of a poet and the hauntingly raw voice of a folk prodigy. With sounds reminiscent of Joni Mitchell or Alexi Murdoch, Marling's latest album I Speak Because I Can is gently woven with semblances of 1960s folk and at times Celtic-sounding vocal arrangements. Marling has said the album deals with the "responsibility of womanhood" - something she seems to possess an incredible wisdom of; each song carrying with it the complexities of love, choice, and self-expression universal to womankind.

Ghosts
Lover please do not
Fall to your knees, it's not
Like I believe

In everlasting love

These are just ghosts

That broke my heart

Before I met you


Rambling Man
But give me to a rambling man
Let it always be known

That I was who I am


Blackberry Stone
Well I own this field
And I wrote this sky
And I have no reason, to reason with you

And you never did learn to let the little things go

And you never did learn to let me be

And you never did learn to let little people grow

And you never did learn how to see


Goodbye England
I wrote an epic letter to you
And it's 22 pages front and back

And it's too good to be used
And I tried to be a girl who likes to be used
I'm too good for that
There's a mind under this hat and
I
Called them all and told them I've got to move


No comments:

Post a Comment